Ben for short. Experienced in end-to-end data science & engineering using Python, but I consider myself a generalist. Deeply excited about autonomy and cryptocurency (disjointly). Standing up out of chairs whenever possible. Keeping beginner's mind as best as I can.
- Consistent meditation practice. Many multiday retreats, and two half-hour sessions each day. Started seriously practicing in college.
- High-level competitive sports. Pole vaulting seriously from ages 14-25. If you need a binary check on mental or physical preparedness for action, there's no better way than grabbing a 15' fiberglass stick, running full speed, and jumping in the air with it. Also, for a sport this technical, the only way to succeed is to practice in some capacity every single day.
- Extended backcountry trips (such as NOLS). When it starts snowing at 10,000 feet in August, you're 4 miles from where you thought you would camp, and your friend goes hypothermic, you can't just open Netflix or smoke weed and expect your problems to go away
- Work at several early-stage startups. Long hours with the same people making big decisions with employees' jobs on the line
- Research into the body's neurotransmitters and specifically, the peculiarities of my own body (e.g. caffeine sensitivity, how my physical posture or breathing affects my mental state, etc.)